Saturday, June 17, 2006

Icarus try 2

Well, I've started Icarus again. It took me a bit to figure out the graph pattern and now that I am working on it, it is starting to make sense. I'm at about row 5 of the first chart.

I've added two stitches to the first row so that I can slip the first stitch on any row I do. As I said before I like a slipped stitch border. It just makes it look nicer, imo.

I also finished my little bag in the previous post. I just have to find a closure for it now. LOL I felted it and actually enjoyed doing so. It is just the right size for a small wallet and some money.

Anyway, I'm making Icarus out of Alpaca Drops from Garns Studio in "White" (colour 1101, dye lot 2). I have 5 balls and I'm hoping that's enough. Depending on how it turns out, I might even add a fringe to it. I like fringe in shawls. Makes them more sensual somehow. I have about 900m of yarn and that means about 980yds which should leave me 100yds spare.

I'm also working on a brainless pattern knitting bag at the same time because I have to focus too much to knit Icarus and I need something that is just an easy pattern to follow. At row 19 for Icarus, I plan on doing a lifeline. And then whenever I finish a set of repeats. Any recommendation for lifeline threads? Sewing? Cross stitch? Any idea? I've never done a lifeline before, but I can tell with Icarus, I'm going to need it!

3 comments:

Aura said...

I'd love to start this pattern, but I have yet to really understand how the graphs work - so it's heartening to read I'm not hte only one, and that it can be overcome! (Obviously I am a newish knitter, and new to any pattern like this). :-0

MaryAnn said...

I am in the same boat, as this was my first one as well. But I have found it to be pretty easy as well.

Glad there are more of us out there.

Sophie_vf said...

that's part of what's great about the stockinette body - it's a great way to learn to read a chart and see how it translates into your stitches.

Mamid - this is the first project I used lifelines for. I started with sock yarn, but found it too thick (!) then crochet thread, which wasn't bad, then ended up using thick sewing thread. Others here have used fresh and minty dental floss!

I never did need to rip back to my lifelines, but I sure liked the feeling of security they gave me :) It was worth it. I put them in at the end of each repeat of chart 1, then just before starting chart 4.