Thursday, June 29, 2006

Exercise or knit? Which would you rather do?

I continue to reconstruct Icarus. As you will recall, I ripped back to the beginning of the last repeat of Chart 1 on Tuesday. I've done 5 rows since then. I simply can't do this and watch tv. From now on I will listen to podcasts and audio book while I knit on this shawl. I know you experienced lace knitters are saying to yourselves, "What is her problem? Chart 1 is the easy part!" but I keep making mistakes. Complacent inattentiveness, I guess. Still when all is said and done, I'm enjoying the hell out of this and I know it's going to look great when it's done.

I am so obsessed with finishing this that I even resent the half-hour that I spend at Curves and wondered if I could knit while I work out. All the time I'm there I'm thinking that I could be knitting. Hell, I'd rather be doing just about anything else. I find Curves to be so mind-numbingly boring that I can barely force myself to go. I know it's only one half-hour three times a week and I know it's good for me but does it have to be so dull? The ladies there try to perk it up by having games and puzzles to do while you exercise and that has helped tremendously but those of us with short attention spans are still counting the seconds 'til we finish that last repeat. Or maybe I'm the only one who feel that way.

Anyway, tonight is a baseball game and if it doesn't rain (over 8" since Sunday here) we'll be going. That means a few hours of uninterrupted knitting. The stadium flooded Monday with water waist deep in the dugouts and a couple feet in the locker rooms and the offices, but they played last night after a late start. There's no stopping the boys of summer.


4 comments:

Sophie_vf said...

all my friends who tried Curves mentioned how boring it got after a while :(

Is there some other exercise you can do instead?

As for watching TV - I know I dropped YO's while watching Angel till I really got the hang of it. After a while I could even knit while watching soccer, but I missed a lot of the game :)

Mamid said...

Knit. Duh.

And I hate Curves. I got a "free two weeks" from Avon for them for buying something that has since broken. I refuse to use any excercise program like Curves. Give me bellydancing instead!

Janet said...

Have you tried yoga? Great for strength building, flexibility, mind stimulating, and people who are as great as knitters. It can even be cardio if you practice Ashtanga or a style that flows quickly.

Sophie_vf said...

hey, I'm a knitter who practices and teaches yoga :) So I have to second Janet's suggestion!

(in fact, sometimes I *need* yoga to unkink after sitting for long stretches knitting...)