Monday, July 24, 2006

I'm out of yarn. I've stopped with a few yards left at the end of chart 3. As I mentioned in my last post, I'm using hand dyed yarn from knitpicks. Of course I didn't dye more than 880 yards since that's the size of a skein and the sample in the magazine took less than that. My gauge must have worked its way off a bit.

So, this weekend, I'm going to attempt to overdye some more of the same yarn that is currently light turquoise. I really hope I can get it close to the same color.

If it does turn out different, have some of you had to (or chosen to) switch yarns at chart 4 by chance? I'm curious if it might end up looking somewhat as if it were on purpose if it is a bit different. That might be too much to hope though. If it really won't work, I believe I shall have to rip it back to the end of the first chart and do one less repeat of it and redo the edgings.

2 comments:

Susannah said...

I had to switch yarns at the very last row. Bummed me out something fierce, but I was pretty happy with the way it ended up anyways. I was also using handdyed laceweight, so matching the exact colorway wasn't an option, but I used a color of Gems Pearl in a solid color that matched the predominant shade beautifully.

Obviously yours isn't going to be as unobtrustive, but I think it'll be fine. Switching right at a chart change will look more "on purpose" than if you had to change in the middle of something.

The other option you might try instead of ripping back to the first chart and removing a repeat is starting at the "feathers" (is that at the end of chart 2? I can't remember) and do those in a different color because that's the most obvious pattern break.

Unknown said...

ah!

Here is a link of someone's who did the ends in a different colour.

http://icarusalong.blogspot.com/2006/06/here-she-is-under-much-better-light.html

I think it looks gorgeous