Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Rosemary (Romi) here! Whew. My first blog post ever. Okay, so maybe I'm a little late to the whole blog party. :)

I received my IK this past weekend and was immediately in love with Icarus. (Lisa, if you are reading this, now is the time to avert your eyes.) So, of course, I went right to the stash and dug up some Knitpicks Alpaca Cloud in Sunlight.

Okay, so it's not a heavenly blue, but it was there and I was there, and there was no way I was going to wait to start! It doesn't really look much like sunlight to me, but it is a very pretty soft yellowy tan, so when I finally got over the name not fitting the color, I was very happy to have it. Two skeins. Perfect. I wound it into balls and started. Yikes. The first half of my progress was difficult until I got used to the tangles. Whew.



I don't know if all of the Alpaca Cloud is like this, but mine twists back on itself really badly and ties itself in knots. Gaaah! (I can hear Lisa saying that you get what you pay for; but, but but...it was already in my stash and I promise I've learned a lesson! I was saving your alpaca lace for another project. Honest!)

I started it on bamboo dpns and the bamboo was pretty nice with the alpaca! So, having no bamboo circs, I decided to knit it on straights. I've never used straight needles on lace before and I haven't used them for, um, years. They have a really different balance. A little difficult to get used to after using circs for so long. At any rate, here's my progress with the twisty twisty yarn. And yes, that *is* purple carpet. Hee.

Don't you love how lace looks like a shriveled piece of crap until it's blocked? It makes me want to knit faster so I can see how it will look. :) I've just finished the 4th repeat. I'm really wishing I'd used Kidsilk Haze in Heavenly. Maybe I'll do a second one...

7 comments:

Miriam said...

Holy Mother of Meat! That's quite a feat getting that far on straight needles! they always hurt my wrists to have so much weight on the ends of my needles. It looks good though!

And I find that working with Alpaca Cloud is easier if you pull it from the outside of the ball. It doesn't twist quite so much and it helps keep it from tangling so often.

jenknits said...

That will be a beautiful color for your scarf. I'm amazed how far you've gotten. I cast on last night and only got about 20 rows done. boohoo

Anonymous said...

I had the same problem with Alpaca Cloud. You just have to be REALLY careful with it. Leave it alone as much as possible, except for knitting it.

Sarah said...

Wow, amazing that you have knit that far on straight needles without killing yourself! ;)

Looks great.

wenders said...

Wow. Straight needles? I am getting my yarn to start mine this weekend...I'm jealous you've made it so far!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Rosemary...the K word. SIGH

Jeri said...

Romi, I was thinking of using straights too, at least until it gets heavy, but, we'll be finishing before we get to 100gr so, how heavy can it get? Anyways, my question is, what size needles are you using? I have some 3's I think, but I was thinking of loosening it up a little with 4's. What size are yours?

Jeri