Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Hello, hello! I started Icarus over the weekend, and have been a bit obsessed with working on it ever since. I'm very glad to hear about this knitalong, because my husband is getting a little bored hearing me gush about the pattern. This is my first project using lace-weight yarn (it's Knitpicks Alpaca Cloud, color Horizon)--and it took experiments with four or five patterns before I found one that I could handle. The K7's are much more approchable than a busier pattern, and it's easy to see if I'm putting the yarn overs in the right place because of the simple diagonal lace lines. Hopefully by the time I hit the fancier edging I will not be intimidated by a more complicated chart!



I'm through the setup and two repeats of the last half of chart one--which seems like a lot, but I'm noticing the rows are getting longer! I think the next three repeats will take much more time.

I usually don't knit this fast, but my classes just finished a week ago, and I am enjoying the extra knitting time. Hopefully (for my wallet at least) I will find a job soon, and then the knitting will slow again.

6 comments:

rincaro said...

Wow! You've made amazing progress!

Miriam said...

Great progress! Yes, the rows do get longer, but then again, you get closer to the lace, and that's pretty interesting.

Marie said...

Wow! You'll be done in no time! :) How are you finding the alpaca cloud? I had so much trouble when I used it in another lace project...it seemed to tamgle as soon as I looked at it, So pretty though...

Romi said...

Very pretty. I'm using the alapca cloud, too, and it is *really* tangling. Yours looks pretty tame though. Did I have a bad batch or did you get around it by pulling from the outside like Miriam suggested?

Sarah said...

Wow, you are moving on that thing!

Katie said...

Hmmm... I haven't had problems with tangling. I don't have a ball winder, so I hand rolled it into a ball, and I let the ball roll on the floor or sit in my bag as I knit. I'm really enjoying working with Alpaca Cloud so far--and I love how soft the finished part feels.