Saturday, August 12, 2006

On a break...

Literally.

As in, the doctor thinks I might have broken my hand. Specifically one of the bones that helps the pinkie of my yarn holding hand work. Specifically, the pinkie that holds the yarn when I knit or crochet.

So, I'm on a break for a while. All puns intended.

I had fallen about two and a half weeks ago, almost three, and thought I had only sprained the wrists or maybe broken a scaphoid. Okay, that takes a few weeks to heal. But since I'm very pregnant, healing is going to take longer. I have 6 weeks to heal up before I can start expecting Bitty's arrival. The scaphoids came back negative. So did the wrist. But when my doc examined my hand today, I just about jumped out of my chair when he pressed one spot. So he suspects a fracture because the finger is still numb and it isn't getting any better.

*sigh*

And I wanted to get Iky done before I had Bitty...

5 comments:

Helen said...

Maybe you can find a new way of holding the yarn. With the other hand? With different fingers? Everyone seems to have a minutely different way of doing it. You could learn Continental style - or if you already do that, you could learn the slow way, although that does seem a bit of a backwards step :) I hope it clears up soon anyway and that you can fly with Icarus for a while before Bitty brings you back down to earth. Good luck.

Mamid said...

I would love to learn to hold a yarn another way, but that's the way I figured it out and its easiest for me to knit with.

I'll know in a couple of days if it is broken. I go for xrays tomorrow and the doc should get results Tuesday or Wednesday.

And I have booties and hats to make for Bitty too. Trust me. Having injured both my hands has put a real damper on my knitting.

Hannah said...

Oh, I am so sorry! Hope you are feeling better (and able to knit) soon!

Kel said...

ouch! My sympathies. Thank goodness for the internet so you can watch everyone else's progress and knit vicariously through their posts. I hope healing goes well! (Have you seen how the Peruvians knit? They carry their yarn around the back of their necks. Perhaps this method would alleiviate carrying the yarn tension on your pinkie?) Good luck and stay healthy!

Mamid said...

I've tried the peruvian knitting style. I just don't like it. It doesn't work with my waist length hair.

Two days to find out if its broken...