Monday, September 25, 2006

Restart?
Not enough yarn...

Here I am, just finished the third row of chart 3, and it is clear that there just isnt' going to be enough yarn. No way. I thought I had extra. It is some obscure German mohair I found at the LYS, and I bought all 11 skeins they had. But it surely won't even get me through chart 4, let alone the edging and bind off, so I am going to try to frog the whole thing.

Frog? Can I frog this hairy stuff? I'll be looking for comments on how I will ever do this!

But I still need my Icarus, so will be casting on with Alpaca Cloud. This time I know I'll have enough. (5 skeins). What needle size should I use? 3? 4? 5? No, not 5.

The mohair was something called Stahl sche Wolle Serenade. It really is beautiful, and I hope I can recover the yarn for another use. To be honest, though, the shawl was really turning out to be HUGE, so any of this I recover will probably go for scarves and hats. I love the yarn, and will morn the loss of my Icarus in this, whatever it is.

Wixtermom

4 comments:

Kate A. said...

I've heard freezing the thing first will make it easier to rip...(i.e, put it in a closed ziploc, stick in freezer, wait). I've never actually tried it though. The very little ripping I did with mohair once quickly led to...scissors. I hope you have better luck than I did!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you are going to RIP IT. I just finished the third repeat of chart 1 and feel like it is taking for ever. Can't imagine ripping - have you considered another color?

Betsey said...

DONT FROG....

I just copy/pasted that mohair's name in to google - and it appears that several people are selling it (even on ebay)...There is bound to be someone out there with an additional ball or two in you colour!

Lucinda said...

The internet can work really well for finding extra yarn of the same kind. Mohair can be a pain to frog, but it isn't impossible.